Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Congo Adventures, Part 4: In Which Ill-Equipped White Folk Attempt to Climb a Live Volcano


Congo, Day 3. 

One of the benefits of not having electricity is that there’s really nothing to do but sleep after it gets dark. As a result, you’re up at dawn and chipper as hell. Susan and I took our morning meal in the camp’s main building. Michael Pollan would love the Congo; I’m reasonably sure everything we ate (save for a jar of Nutella) originated within five miles of where we broke our fast.

We packed ourselves into our military vehicle and bounced down one mountain and up towards another. Today we were scheduled to climb Nyiragongo volcano.

On the way there, our driver flagged down another truck and bought some bread from them (How he knew the moving vehicle contained bread for sale I know not). Although there was no way for us to know it, this was the entirety of the supplies  we would have on this trip. We don’t know if this was a miscommunication, another example of African half-assery or another rip-off, but we being were sent to climb a goddamn volcano with three pieces of bread and two bottles of water.

At the base of the volcano, we were reunited with the Korean film crew (and the Korean Bear Grylls), along with a handful of other people headed to the rim. The plan was to climb the volcano, spend the night on the caldera in a cabin, then return in the morning. Porters would carry our luggage to the top and back for the princely sum of $12 a day. Susan wanted one. I thought I could carry my own gear, then relented under Susan’s concern. Susan, it turned out, is much smarter than me.

Halfway up, we had stopped for a break. One of the Dutchmen from the previous day’s gorilla trek was also heading for the summit. He was suffering mightily as he lumbered into the clearing and plopped down, clearly on the edge of throwing in the towel. Korean Bear Grylls saw this and tried to motivate him by yelling at him in Korean, then pounding him with a partially-filled water bottle. The Dutchman got pissed off and started whaling on Korean Bear Grylls with his own half-filled bottle. This only motivated KBG more, and the two men flagellated each other for several minutes. “No one back home will believe this is happening,” I said to Susan, as the Dutchman and Korean executed their savage ballet.

“You’re right,” she said. “I better film this.” And she did:


The climb was a little over five miles. It took six hours to go eight kilometers. We climbed something like 8,000 feet, almost all of it over volcanic scree. At our last stop before the top, Susan and I discovered that we had no supplies. On our last drops of water, the trip once again took on the tinge of a battle for survival instead of a relaxing vacation.

Several of us made for the rim to see the volcano. At first blush, it wasn’t so impressive in broad daylight. We stood a vertical half mile above a bubbling crater of lava and peered through thick clouds of steam that warmed the breeze. Seemingly out of nowhere, it began to rain. Susan and I picked our way carefully back to shelter, reaching it only after we had been drenched by the cloudburst.

At 12,000 feet, well above the tree line, the wind was whipping. As the sun began to drop, it began to get positively chilly. Neither Susan or I had brought appropriate clothing for cold weather; I mean, you would think the middle of Africa wouldn’t warrant a parka, right?

We were housed in a handful of chalets just below the volcano’s rim. Each one was fairly basic, sheets of metal bolted into a rudimentary box, each with a rubber sleeping pad. No evidence of bedding. When Susan enquired, we were told that we could rent a sleeping bag for $25. This was the equivalent of two day’s wages. Susan accepted the offer. I declined. Once again, Susan was smart. I was not.

My idiot plan was to wrap myself in both our ponchos, then ride out the night encased in an impermeable burrito of rubber (wow, that sounded dirtier than I thought it would). This plan completely backfired: Since our ponchos were non-porous, the heat I generated condensed and seeped back into my clothing, leeching further heat from my body. This vicious cycle lasted from sundown to 11 PM, when I awoke, shivering uncontrollably and having difficulty breathing in the thin air.

I could think of three options: I could go outside and try to find the guides and rent a sleeping bag from them (the darkness, dangerous rocky ground and the howling wind cast doubt on the viability of this plan). I could admit I was wrong in not taking the sleeping bag and ask Susan for help. Or I could die with dignity.

While I pondered this, the sound of my gasping through chattering teeth woke Susan up. Here is our conversation:

 Susan: Noah?
Noah: Mmmm?
Susan: You OK?
Noah: Mmmm..
Susan: What’s wrong?
Noah: Dying.
Susan: Oh.

She thought about my predicament for a moment, then stuffed me in her sleeping bag until I stopped shivering uncontrollably. Then she popped herself in. Two full-sized adults in a single sleeping bag makes for a tight fit; Susan and I were literally nose-to-nose for about five hours. I love Susan dearly, but this was the literal definition of “too close for comfort.”

We woke up at 4 AM to view the volcano in the predawn darkness. At night, it was beautiful. See? 

 The crater.
 The rim at night.

I’m not sure if it was majestic enough to put myself through this again, but it was pretty damn spectacular, sitting there in silence, watching the churning magma below. As dawn broke, the camp roused in preparation for the return leg. Susan and I returned to our cabin, where, in the rapidly improving light, it became clear I had taken some rather drastic measures to survive the freezing cold. The following conversation took place:

 Susan: Noah?
Noah: Yeah?
Susan: Are you wearing underwear as a hat?
Noah: Mind your own business, woman.
Susan: Wait, are you wearing socks as gloves?
Noah: Nunya’!!!


Susan takes photos too, unfortunately.

Being on a trip brings you so close to your significant other. Ten minutes later, Susan and I found our way to the stinky volcano latrine. “Noah, cover me while I take a shit,” my beloved requested, ever the lady.

“Only if you cover me,” I replied.

In a musical, this might have turned into a duet. Toilet en du volcan, perhaps.

We headed down. Susan is the worst mountain descender ever. It took her five times longer to go down than to go up. Her strategy was to literally scoot the five miles down entirely on her butt. After a hundred yards of stupefyingly slow progress, two of the porters took pity on Susan and literally held her hand and walked her down for five miles. “We’re breaking up if you photograph this,” said an angry Susan who’d caught me fumbling for my camera.

The journey down only took about two hours. An exhausted Susan stumbled into the clearing and collapsed. We begged a bottle of water off the Korean film crew and greedily chugged it, grateful to still be alive. Both of us were dirty and sweaty. We had traveled through four countries without taking a shower, and we smelled a sour mixture of fear and total exhaustion.

We had one last adventure – our ride back to the border was in a jacked-up flatbed truck (with the obligatory armed guard in back, of course). NATO had graded all the roads leading back to Goma in this part of the country, so lighter vehicles could pass. Nevertheless, we were thoroughly jostled by the trip; Every so often we would pass a giant dump truck returning from the field. The bed of these trucks were stacked impossibly high with sacks of crops. Workers say precariously atop the cargo, some 30 or 40 feet above the broken ground that rushed by at 60 kph. Several times, we saw a worker start to topple, to be saved only by grabbing one of the ropes used to lash down the giant sacks of maize and potatoes.

On the outskirts of town, we came thisclose to vehicular manslaughter. We missed a guy on a motorbike going the other way by microns. Our driver didn’t. even. twitch.” We passed so closely, I whipped my head around to see the damage from what I thought was an inevitable impact.

“What the fuck was that?”

“Hakuna Matata,” I said ultra-soothingly.

From behind the wheel, our driver, who spoke not a word of English, gave a deep, slow nod of agreement. His eyes never even left the road. No worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment